Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Court Date

We apologize for not posting anything yesterday. We tried, but the internet cafe was full and we didn't really have the time to wait. So, we found out when our court hearing would be.........do you wonder when it might be??

We appeared in court and were officially pronounced parents of Ethan Warren Baldwin this morning at 10:00!!! Yep, it was today. Natasha had suggested that we might be able to have the hearing before the 6th, but she didn't want to make any promises. So, on Monday night, she came to our room and told us we would be having court on Wednesday morning! How did she do it? We didn't ask questions, we just praise God. There is another American couple here who has been in Donetzk for two weeks now, and they still haven't had their court date. So, we know that it was God's plan for us to have this today. Actually, we are about two weeks ahead of the average adoption cycle here in Ukraine. Our facilitator is a wonderful christian woman who understands that there are no coincidences, just the hand of God at work.

This means that we will be traveling home on December 14th or 15th! We must wait here in Doneztk for another 10 days (mandatory waiting period) and then we can travel back to Kiev for Ethan to have a physical examination and to meet with the US Embassy to get an immigration visa for Ethan. We will be looking at the airlines today to see which day we will actually be flying back.

This is the first day we have seen the sun in Ukraine. We think that it is beautiful here today, because of what God has done.

We celebrated our becoming parents by eating at a new restaurant for lunch. It was good! OK this is Joe taking over since we are talking about food! Not only was it good it was great! I had borsch and some raw (well not really raw but cold and smoked) bacon as an appetizer, then I had a beef and mushroom dish that was served with a side of buckwheat and a side of cold sour cabbage---excellent! Steph had a seasoned pork tenderloin with what they called fried potatoes--technically they are correct french fries are truely fried potatoes.

Now I will tell you some about court. We anxiously waited in a court building that interestingly resembled the court house in Randolph County. Yes, a pre-WWII communist type building looked just like the Randolph County Courthouse inside. The judge came down the stairs in his black robe and entered the court room on the first floor right beside the waiting area. He heard a couple of cases then asked us to enter. It was very intimidating, we acted like we were not nervous but I was shaking in my Timberlands! The judge asked me to stand and state my name, b-day, yrs married, my address (which I momentarily forgot), my job and my salary. He wanted to know if we have any kids. Then it was Steph's turn. She really got put through the ringer! The judge asked her the same questions and then the "People's Advocates" two ladies who represent the state and apparently the state's concern for orphaned children started asking Steph questions. They wanted to know if Steph could handle being a mother, they were concerned because she has a job, they asked Steph why we were adopting not from the US, but from Ukraine. Steph did a bang up job! We showed the judges and the ladies pictures of our home, so that they would see we have sufficient space to raise a child. They asked who the children were in the pictures, we have pictures of all the nieces and nephews. One lady specifically asked about Logan. We told her that Steph's sister and her husband had recently
adopted him. They seemed to enjoy the pictures. (Plus, that picture of Logan is sooo cute!)

The entire process took probably twenty minutes and after the Inspector (city representative), and a representative from the orphanage testified on our behalf, the judge made his ruling that we were officially the parents for Ethan. We both cried, and I think I saw a tear in the eye of the lady from the orphanage.

Immediately following our court hearing, we went to the orphanage to see Ethan. Our normal visit is from 10 am to 12 noon, but because we were in court at 10:00, we were late. Ethan was obviously upset about that because he was pouting and giving us dirty looks when we first arrived. (He knew we were supposed to be there when the other American couple came to see their son.) But, he quickly got over his attitude. The director of the orphanage offered us his congratulations as well as several of the ladies who work there.

It has been an awesome day!

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew once they heard how much you have to offer that boy there would be no problems..................... Im so excited!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ but it doesnt compare to yours im sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!We sure look forward to seeing you in time for Christmas. Will he be able to stay at the apartment with you during the waiting period? How wonderful this has all turned out. God has indeed blessed all of you tand your families and friends each and every one! have a safe trip back!Love Shelley

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night when I was writing you, I prayed that God would make the day a TOTALLY AWESOME day for you and He certainly didn't disappoint in that, did he?!?!?!?! See you ALL in about 2 weeks...
Congratulations Mom and Dad!!!
Love,
Becky and Rob

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mom & Dad,
I am so glad God has chosen you for me - I can't wait to see my new home and meet all my cousins. Plus, I know my new grandmas & grandpas will be totally awesome.
I am so thankful that we are finally together! I am going to be your bestest boy! Let's get packing!
Love, Ethan

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Steph & Joe,
Many, many congratulations! I had a dream about your court date. Then, I woke up and tried to check the blog but it wouldn't let me in... probably b/c you were posting to it then! I am so happy for you all. We are all so excited about this adventure. Thanks for including us in your family! You're gonna be a great mom & dad. Hurry home!
We were wondering if you can keep Ethan with you now till you go to Kiev? Or, does he still stay at the orphanage? Many, many blessings for you. Happy Gotcha Day - November 29, 2006! Jean

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yipee!!! Congrats mommy and papa! We are so happy for you both. I had to compose myself before I could even write this,had trouble seeing through the tears! What a testimony you will have to share with others. "Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare." Psalm 40:5
Love you guys,
Mark and Heather

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I can write anything more appropriate than the note from "Ethan".
All I can say is I was so disappointed yesterday that there wasn't a posting and now I am sitting at work crying.
I am so glad Cory is your friend Joe because that means I got to become friends with you and Steph and be a part of this amazing experience.
I can't wait for the Baldwin Party of 3 to get home.
Congratulations...love, Stacy

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Justin and I are speechless.
PRAISE GOD!!!!! The girls are ready to meet Ethan (but will he be ready for them?)
We will continue to pray that God works out the rest of the trip so that you can get home soon and safe.
we love you
justin and kari

8:42 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Steph & Joe,

Congratulations, We are happy for you all. Glad things are going well for you all.
We will be there soon around Dec 10th.
Chris and I will be thinking about you all and praying for you.
We know what you are going through right now.
In Christ,
Terri

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, Steph and Ethan,
OOOOOOOh my!!!! This is so exciting, I have a 100 questions, but the first one is, Will Ethan stay you in the apartment from now on????? That would be so great.!!!! I just don't know what to say, this is just amazing!!!! God is soooo Goood all the time!!!
I will write later when I can get my thoughts together.
Love Mom

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should add, Dad has been off work all this week, so he has been checking the blog too, but Stuart told him this news. Stuart said he call all the siblings, yeah he did my job for me. Ha. He is off today too. Just let us know and we will be at the airport!!!!!!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just keep saying how good God is, and look at what He's done now!
We can't wait for you all to be home. Congratulations!!
Marjorie & Family

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was disappointed yesterday when there was no blog, Gina, (teacher at school) said today, don't they know we need a blog every day??ha Well today's news certainly made up for not hearing yesterday. I am not complaining, this tech stuff is great!!! even tho I don't understand how it works. I'm so excited I can hardly concentrate on school work. Ethan is the most fortunate little boy in that orphange to have been chosen by the two of you. Our family will be blessed by having him be a part of it.Can't wait to see you, hopefully in about two weeks or less. Love, Mom & Dad H.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie and Joe,
Congratulations. Ethan is a lucky young man to have such caring parents. He will look great in Old Gold & Black. :) God bless you and have a safe trip home.
Love,
Jerry Miser

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day, Joe!!!
Happy Mother's Day, Steph!!!

We love you guys and Ethan so much and we can't wait to see you!

God is so good.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, guys! Brett told me the good news as soon as I got home from work, and I had to get on and see for myself. We are so happy for you! I hope and pray that these next few days will fly by and before you know it you'll be back home. This Christmas will be fun, won't it?!? Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Love, Karen, Brett, and Brookelyn

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many Many Congrats!!! To say our God is Awesome is an understatement! Ethan is a very lucky boy! and has no idea of the blessings he is about to receive. Praying for a safe return to the States.

Marilyn Alberson (Byron's Mom)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I checked the mail this morning and didn't find anything. Went to work and dad called me. I just had to get on the blog at work. I sat there reading and crying and my co-workers were standing behind me reading and crying too. (then my boss walked in and I said -- we got him officially!) He said congratulations.
Then Jackie called me and said did you see the blog? She said here I am at work and crying.
We ALL love ALL 3 of you.
See you real soon.
Mom & Dad B.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe and Steph,

Was just told where to fing this sight tonight at youth group. We are all very excited for you and amazed at how God has worked things out to move so quickly after all the long waiting that you guys have had. Look forward to seeing you and your new son in a few weeks. So does this mean you'll make it back for the exciting youth group Christmas party? :-)

Much love,

Diane and Paul

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrads Mom & Dad!! WE are so happy for you! Remember the discussions we had regarding "Gods timing" on this? I know it has been very hard over the past year to wait for Ethen, but I am sure you feel its all worth it now. When Ethen grows up it will be a wonderful gift for him to be able to read this blog and see how much his Mom & Dad loved him, and how hard they worked to make him thier son! Ethen - never doubt that you are greatly loved - both then and now!

We love all 3 of you and are looking forward to a wonderful home-coming Christmas!

Jim & Jill

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home